Transitional Carers’ Scheme
Could you support a young person aged 16-18+ through to independence in your own home?
We are looking for families, couples, or individuals who could provide a secure and stable home environment to young people and who could guide and support them through a crucial stage in their lives.
Transitional carers will provide structured routines to help young people engage in education, training, and employment. The carers will give practical help and advice and assist a young person to independence.
The young people should be fully integrated into the household and have access to all home amenities.
These young people have a range of needs and vulnerabilities that will require support from their carers to help them achieve independence. Transitional carers will help these young people develop skills in the following areas:
- Assistance with money management and benefits
- Advice and /or assistance with life skills including shopping, cooking etc.
- Help with keeping appointments and attendance at school / training / work
- Help young person build meaningful relationships with others
- Complying with house rules
Transitional carers will:
- Attend to young person’s emotional well being
- Provide a listening ear
- Encourage young people to fulfil their full potential
- Have an understanding of behaviour and teenage issues
- Have tolerance and a reasonable attitude around common teenage behaviour i.e. alcohol, smoking, staying out
- Pursue safer caring for all
What support do transitional carers receive?
- £150 per week (this includes a contribution from young person)
- Support from the young person’s social worker and personal advisor
- Support and guidance from the carer’s own social worker
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
- Out of hours service support
- Regular reviews for the young person
- Access to therapeutic services e.g. Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
If you feel that you could offer foster care to teenagers call us on: 0300 123 1155
or email: email@example.com